Here are my thoughts on the book, in the huge jumbled mess because I have been adding them all along as I read the book!
Please add your comments and questions!
– I got choked up when the owl was killed. But, also, who the hell brings their owl to go fight a war?
– I did not, however, cry when Mad Eye Moody died. Never liked him much anyway. In fact, his eye seriously grossed me out.
– Speaking of his eye, Harry was a complete DUMBFUCK for ripping Mad Eye’s eye out of Dolores Umbridge’s door.
– And how did Dolores make a patronus while wearing the Horcrux locket? I thought it was supposed the drain your magical power?
– I still have no clue what the Deluminator is. Does is suck light, give it, both?
– All the arguing among Harry, Ron and Hermione was getting VERY OLD.
– And I GET IT. The scar was BURNING. Burning. Pulsing. About to burst right open!
– Emma Watson is NEVER going to be able to pull off the emotional stuff Hermione has going on in the film version of this book.
– The part where Ron saves Harry at the pond and has to break the locket Horcrux was amazing. All the things that kid has been bottling up… whoah boy.
– The book was a bit slow going for a long time, but really zoomed up at the end. J.K. really could have shaved a bit off, I think.
– I really cried when Dobby was killed. Real tears. (S.P.E.W. forever, man!)
– I still do not understand the bit about Harry’s wand overpowering Voldemort’s. Please explain.
– And does Voldemort not ever realize Harry is reading his mind? Is it one of those cases of dudes with great evil power also possessing great evil arrogance? That he thinks Harry is simply not good enough to read his mind once Voldemort cut off the connection? Ha ha! Who had the last laugh, asshat!?
– I loved the back story about Dumbledore’s family. I loved how it made him a real person instead of the perfect grandfatherly wizard he always has been. Even though it was a bit uncomfortable reading his “grand” aspirations in his younger years.
– In fact, I loved how much backstory this book had everywhere.
– At first, I was a little annoyed at the introduction of the Deathly Hallows schtick (more shit they have to go find!)… but in the end it made sense. I am still not sure how Voldemort would never have heard of it, though.
– The fight scene at Hogwarts was AWESOME. McGonagall kicked ass.
– And while Fred’s death made me sad, I was more choked up when he was laid next to Lupin and Tonks. Gawd. Little orphaned babe. And oh my word – little Colin Creevey too???
– I totally thought Fleur’s tiara was Ravenclaw diadem Horcrux. Pretty sneaky, J.K.
– Hooray! Ron and Hermione finally snog!
– I was bummed that Petunia was not magical. Or was she? Why did she write to Dumbledore to try to get into Hogwart’s? Just because she wanted to be part of the crew?
– Why would the Elder wand change allegiance to Voldemort if Nagini killed Snape? Because snakes have no arms?Why didn’t he do it himself? Laziest Dark Lord I have ever seen.
– The chapter with Snape’s memories was amazing. I was so happy he ended up being good. But when I realized that Harry was going to die, I was crying so hard I was hyperventilating. SERIOUSLY.
– And then him bravely going to meet his fate? DUDE. Harry. rocks.
– And I loved how his parents and loved ones came to meet him and help him stand tall. God. At that point, I was curled into a whimpering ball, crying so hard I couldn’t speak, breathe, or even see straight.
– But why did his loved ones just fade away? Were they only there to help him face his fear and not fight?
– But talk about powerful. Hagrid carrying Harry back to Hogwarts? Holyshit. And Neville going after Nagini and killing the last Horcrux was fucking awesome.
– Although, I must admit, the ending of the book felt a bit… abrupt. Whoops! Rebound! Voldemort is dead! And I guess what made it feel more abrupt was there were no joyful reunions or celebrations. Come on, I wanted Ewoks dancing on the moon of Endor!!!
– And while I loved that Harry lived, married Ginny, had lots of babies… the Epilogue left a bunch to be desired too. How are the rest of the Weasleys? Who raised the Tonks baby? What is Harry doing for a living? Do people erect statues in his honor? Not that I wanted the epilogue to blather on, but come on! A few sentences would have helpful!
And more importantly, are these questions left unanswered so that J.K. can make an adult series? I thought she wanted to put Harry to bed!