Kelly at O For Obsessive tagged me for this meme. Finally! Because I had been feeling a bit left out (sniff, sniff) that I had never been hit with it before, so I was VERY excited. It always seemed like such a fun way to tell crazy shit about yourself without having to have a “reason” to bring it up.
Except as I started to try to think my bat-crazy-shit, I realized I am completely boring and this was hard as hell.
So try not to fall asleep as I tell you 7 Completely Random Things About Me.
1. My old standby: I have a geographic tongue. (Here is the link to the Wikipedia page about it, but don’t click it if you don’t want to see big fugly pictures of what my tongue looks like hopped up on citrus drinks).
2. I have never been to New York City. I know, I KNOW. Growing up in Maryland it was only a 4 hour trainride – but my mom (trying to raise us on her own after my dad died) had neither the time or money to take us on jaunty shopping trips like so many of the Heathers from my high school did. Which was fine by me, because I hate shopping anyway. And then I went away to college in Florida, came home, met Bryan and we decided to move to Denver and here we were a year later. So, that’s that. OK, LAME!!! But we’ll go someday, I promise.
3. My grandfather worked in the Natty Boh factory. This is for you Baltimorons. Yes, literally *in* the factory, off the boat after WWII, German immigrant making his living like Laverne and Shirley. And apparently, back in the day, they were allowed to bring beer home on Friday nights, so Opa was VERY popular as he wound through the German neighborhood with cases hefted up on his shoulder. “Jawohl! Hans ist heim!”
4. Speaking of, I used to be fluent in both German and Spanish. But I am the laziest person on the planet and have lost much of both and what comes out now is a weird mixture of Germish. Or would that be Spaman?
5. I am diabetic. They found my diabetes when I was pregnant and it was pretty scary for a while (and I hated needles, but I got over that toot sweet). But after Dex was born, it settled down, no more needles, and I am in pretty tight control – which is why I don’t blog about it very much. But recently I found a great Ning group called Tu Diabetes and I have been planning a big diabetes post for the near future. Watch for it!
6. I abhor raking leaves. Like, when Bryan asked me to marry him, I only said yes on the condition that I NEVER have to rake another leaf ever again. See, my mom’s neighborhood was built around the existing trees. And while I think that is totally cool, 100 year old oaks create a fuck-load of leaves. Like up-to-your knees full of leaves. And in Maryland, where it’s 150% humidity year-round, raking those leaves means a wet, sluggy, drippy mess. I am shuddering even thinking about it. But I will say, here in Colorado, leaves are crackly and crispy like they are supposed to be, so I do actually pitch in every once in a while. Once in a GREAT while.
7. I don’t watch TV. Like ever. OK, except for American Idol, but really – I haven’t seen a good old fashioned TV commercial in about 6 months. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like we don’t get screen time. I watch movies out the wing-wang and Netflix sends me chocolate hearts on Valentine’s Day… plus, obviously I have a serious Internet problem … but we canceled cable over a year ago and have used the money for a bi-weekly house cleaning service. BEST DECISION WE EVER MADE. Sure, I miss Clinton and Stacy from What Not To Wear, but I really can’t think of one single night where I have yearned to aimlessly flip channels like I used to. And I have not scrubbed my tub in FOREVER. So, when people ask me how I have all this time to do blogs and post photos, etc – those two factors are the cause: No TV and hardly any house cleaning duties. It rocks, dude. Now, if I could just find a service that comes to my house and does my laundry.
OH WAIT! The Runners did that for me last weekend! Maybe I am on to something!!! (OH NO, I AM NOT KIDDING, THEY FOLDED MY LAUNDRY. Now that’s friendship!)
Now I am supposed to tag 7 more bloggers to reveal 7 more random facts about themselves. I think I will go old school and round up some of the PIMs – aka Psycho Internet Moms. The ones who have been there since we cracked a mouse wide open.
Go get em, ladies! Do your facts and pick 7 more, and so on and so on and so on!