I was got good yesterday.
But before I get to that…. Remember how I have been waffling over the iPhone? Well, I have finally decided to go for it. Sure, it’s expensive. And I probably won’t be able to get one tomorrow, and will have to wait 6 months for one anyway.
But James and Chris from work have been feeding me information left and right. I am going to stop the mental masturbation and DO THIS THING.
Basically it comes down to this:
• The phone itself is expensive, but the plan is reasonable and can save you money on the data charges in the long run.
• The data network running through the cell system is sloooooooow. But they probably did it to make sure there was more coverage for it. And I really only want it to check email, so I will be OK.
• I will finally be able to flawlessly sync all my Mac shit.
• It’s freaking cool.
• The touch keyboard is a little funky but once you are used to it, it’s fine.
• I can have my music, phone and calendar all in one device.
• The phone is slippery, so I need to be careful not to drop it. Really really careful.
• The map function is awesome (although may be slow on that network) and mimics GPS. Good for people like me with zero sense of direction.
• I will be able to Blog and Twitter while I’m out and about.
• However, Bryan has sworn to divorce me if I hang out with the iPhone more than him.
• Oh, have I mentioned how freaking cool it is?
If you don’t believe me, watch this:
= iPHONE GUIDED TOUR =
(Although try not to fall asleep watching the loser they used for their host. A loser with an East Coast accent no less. I wanted to put an ice pick in my eye every time he said “iPhœne”).
Even David Pogue digs it. (And he’s seriously hilarious).
= THE iPHONE CHALLENGE: KEEP IT QUIET =
OK, here’s how all the tech experts feel.
= THE iPHONE SCORECARD =
So yes. I will be one of the sheep and run out June 29th after my iPhone. I have a photo shoot that evening, but I hear the stores are staying open late.
But let’s all remember I am a Mac Evangelist from the early days. So at least I am an old sheep.
(Wait, that doesn’t sound so great.)
OK, so back to the beginning. How I was gotted.
James at work has been swearing that he is *not* getting an iPhone, even though he is a complete techhead and gets every new gadget every single time, no matter how many times he swears he won’t. (By the way, this time I think he is waiting for me to test out the iPhone for him and then we’ll have a pool for how long it takes him to get one).
So, yesterday he comes into my office and says, “Well, look. I said I wasn’t going to get one… but the guys over at AT&T hooked me up and I couldn’t resist…” and he slowly pulls out this pristinely perfect… you guessed it… iPhone box.
I sputtered. My mind raced.
HOW THE FUCK DID HE GET HIS HANDS ON THAT TWO DAYS BEFORE LAUNCH!?!?!? THERE ARE PEOPLE SLEEPING OUT ON THE STREETS OF NEW YORK, FOR CHRIST’S SAKE.
But, of course. He doctored it up just to fuck with me. Little ass!